Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ain't No Sunshine

Since I didn't want to go to bed too early I thought I'd read on my book, Ain't No Sunshine by Leslie DuBois. I'm usually pretty good at figuring out where a story is going. by the middle of the book at least and certainly before they spill the beans so to speak. However, not with this book. I will say I throughly enjoyed the journey, altho, the book tackles some difficult subjects. I hope to read more of the author's work.

It's set in a small Virginia town in the 60's. Two children, one white boy and one black girl grow up together. They fall in love, which isn't consider the thing to do at this time. The boy's father is the pastor of the church. He appears to be a good, caring man in public but an abusive monstor behind close doors. He tells his son more than once to stay away from Ruthie, they CAN'T be together.

As the story goes the boy's mother is no help with his father. And his older brother just disappears one day. The young couple believe he was killed by the father. The father reveals a life changing secret one day, then it seems eveything spirals more out of control. It's an entertaining story told from the confines of a police station interrogation room.

I read it on my Kindle for pc app. It's still free on Amazon at the moment. I'd recommend it.

Until next time...



5 comments:

Shannon said...

sorry you have been feeling bad. I was able to get it for the Kindle app on my phone. Now I need to actually start reading books on that :) maybe I should add it to my PC also. Hope you feel better soon.

Tricia said...

Thanks Shannon I hate feeling bad in the Summer. It really is a good book enjoy

teachermomof2 said...

I picked up that book for my kindle when you mentioned it and read it in about 2 days. It was really good and not so easy to figure out. I want to check out her other work too.

~peace~
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good book,, I do not have a kindle or nook or any thing like that so ill look for it at the bookstore.

Tricia said...

Lisa glad you enjoyed it. Nancy you can get the Kindle app for your pc free at Amazon. That's what I read it on. Thanks for visiting ladies..